CME Group Foundation was created in 2008 and endowed with a gift of $16 million from the Chicago Mercantile Exchange Trust (CME Trust). CME Trust was established by the Chicago Mercantile Exchange (CME) in 1969, under the direction of its then chairman, Leo Melamed, to provide financial protection to customers in the event a CME member firm became insolvent or unable to meet its obligations to its customers. CME Trust received approval to distribute its net income to public charities in 2005. In addition to the Foundation's annual grant payout, CME Trust has made a contribution annually to CME Group Foundation for its grantmaking since 2008.
We lead with conviction and integrity.
- We choose long term impact over short term outputs to catalyze change and move the needle in education.
- We strive for excellence in everything we do, strengthening the success of our grant partners and the field.
We advance the economy.
- Through our investments in education, we strive to increase economic opportunity, especially for young people from disadvantaged communities.
- We scale successful programs and initiatives to maximize impact.
We build lasting relationships.
- We stay connected to our grant partners, earning their trust by creating opportunities that help both of us achieve our goals.
- We incorporate diverse perspectives into our work, uncovering new insights and opportunities to move the field forward.
We act with ingenuity every day.
- We champion innovation and support our grant partners to take calculated risks.
- We ask the hard questions needed to generate big ideas and incremental improvements for our grant partners.